Cross-Swords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Cross-Swords Store  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

cross swords torney

Go down 
+6
Rob Farmer
Ben Cushion
andybright
Lee Stubbs
Andi Avery
richayson
10 posters
AuthorMessage
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

cross swords torney Empty
PostSubject: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:01 am

after the dust has settled from a poor exeter torney it has been suggested we have a go at organising one
i say lets do it
wot say you good people theres enough top gamers from 40k and fantasy in the club with years of tourney experiance to put on a good show
i`m sure with a bit (alot) of effort we can put on a show to put the south west to shame
cheers
Back to top Go down
Andi Avery
Cross-Swords Member
Andi Avery

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 11:05 am

here here! Motion seconded!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lee Stubbs
Cross-Swords Member
Lee Stubbs

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Jay and I have been talking of running a tounament since before PAW this year, and to run it next year to give us time to make more tables and scenery. We've also looked at venues around Plymouth and spoken to Ant about it. Have aggred to run the 40k side so will be looking for someone to run the fantasy side when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:26 pm

alright then after a bit more thought all being well i would like to organise a torney in july so one wil go ahead
i need alot of advice over the next week or so so i /we can commit to a rule pack and date so here goes
firstly a title for our gloroius comp
a date july would be good as a kind of a last chance with 7th ed
one day event?
how many tables 8 for 40k 8 for fantasy
cost
it will be none profit making so all entry fees will be for trophys /or prizes
points?
do we go for 3 larger games or 4 smaller ones
objective based or death or glory
no limits on characters or army list restictions, if it in your current army book s rules you can field it
games decided on vc points only
if best painted then secrect ballot over dinner when everyone can look at your army lined up
no points for so called best general as we all want to win the game
who to invite local clubs or advertise on internet
again please help and give me as much advice as poss then maybe i can get a provisional set of rules ,cost and stuff for thurs and set a date with the westward
so think of all the best bits from your gaming comps and help make ours the best poss
Back to top Go down
andybright
Cross-Swords Member
andybright

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Hello,

If it's a pure tournament then, imho, I reckon that you might just get there- but to draw in players from all over, get trade stands, exhibition games and other things together by July seems like quite an ask!

What do other people think?

Andy
Back to top Go down
Ben Cushion
Cross-Swords Member
Ben Cushion

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 5:46 pm

I think its going to be a really big push to get a tournament sorted for July, its a shame but I think it would be better to wait till 8th Edition is out and then we can do a decent job at a tournament for sometime in Autumn/early Winter.

Better to take our time sorting and making it good, then having a shit tournament which will mean less people are likely to come to our next one.
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 5:54 pm

I admire the spirit but there are several things to consider for a July tournament:

A combined 40K and Fantasy event can't accommodate 32 players. We don't have the space or tables.

Will we still be playing 7th Edition? Or fumbling about with 8th?

Getting outside players in is great, but if there are only 16 spaces available for one rulesset, most of those will go to Cross Swords players and then a few from outside. This would likely be a repeat of the recent Cross Swords v Rygas event.

IMO if you want to run a tournament very soon, make it Cross Swords only (to save on organisation), make it one day and three battles with maximum 16 places.

If you need a competitive fix, I have a special club-based tournament planned... See my thread in this forum.
Back to top Go down
Andi Avery
Cross-Swords Member
Andi Avery

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 1:50 am

I agree that to make it a "big" tournament with all the x's will not be practically possible. However a club based event would be great. I had planned an incoming tournament "torpoint teardown" with rulespack and everything. It is as simple as you want it to be just decide what you want it to be and go for it. Personally i prefer 5-6 games to allow for any bad luck more realistic top table games etc. One day events are fine but one bad roll could put you near the bottom and isnt a true reflection of ability.

You need any help rich mate just ask i can help you out no probs.
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:05 am

what agood start
thanks for feed back
this event will happen (along as ant/mike let us use the clubs stuff please)
so far then it will be a club based torney over one or two days in july depending on availibility dates tbc by next week
@10 entry approx
dont know anything about 40k (or some might say warhammer) so sorry it will be fantasy only due to short notice
depending on what the majority vote on 3/4 games of max size more if 2 days
8 tables
no special rules
only vp based
trophys for123
maybe forfit prizes for crappest dice rolling etc
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
need help deciding format
scoring
ref?
scenarios or pitched battles
game size
leaning towards 1 day event due to cost of hiring westward
time limit on games?

again this will be none profit so all costs will be ploughed back into prizes cost of hall etc

only 16 places so first come first served
all input for you luvly people will be wanted and needeed so please help
its OUR day out lets make it fun
Back to top Go down
Andi Avery
Cross-Swords Member
Andi Avery

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:23 am

Ok mate so

At 16 players over 1 day you could make it 2000- 2250pts and have 3 games or if you go 1500pts 4-5 games depending on how long we have the venue for. A lot of tournies ar now going for longer saturdays and shorter sundays due to driving home etc and because it can become more sociable if people are staying longer in the evening to consume beerage.

Scenarios is generally up to organisers. U could do pitched battles, standard scenarios ie kill rares specials, take features etc or just be whacky andmake up your own. I certainly have and they can be great fun throwing in an element of suprise can really make you think on your feet whilst trying to batter your opponant. Ie have objective markers that have different effects like for one you uncover a magic item worth 25pts out of your book or your unit scatters 2d6 in random direction, stuff like that.

Scoring systems range from basic 3pts for win, to a grid system which gives you more margins for differences, which would then see less close ties at the top of the league.

You could make it doubles with random partner (decided on day) always a good laugh with you not knowing what sort of team you will create.
The "bad beat" award is a good idea.

Rich mate its your tourney so just decide what you think will make a good fun day/weekend and go with it. When we have a more formal idea we can then iron out the finer points.

A tourny i thought of is all units on the board have fanatics, crazy stuff like that. Do you want a serious event or a laid back laugh event. Both are good if taken as they are meant to be.
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 6:52 am

got to be fun
Back to top Go down
Jay Court
Jay Court

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 9:32 am

Hey guys.

Me & Lee have been discussing a tournament, both 40K & Fantasy.

I think first of all it should be invite only, with representatives from Cross-Swords, Rygars, Dice & Dagger & Exeter Inq.

Think we should do separate events, 40k then fantasy (or vice-versa). have 5 players from each club take part, that way we only need to have 10 tables which we have already & the other 3 clubs won't feel swamped by having a dozen or so players from CS take part.

Ant could have the trade stand on the day as well maybe?

Should this work, we could go on to do a bigger event in Plymouth with more players, different trade stands & even participation games going on from other clubs. Plus it would give us time to build more tables/scenery for a bigger event.

If we were to do a bigger event, the money made would go towards more tables/scenery for the club in general & would boost our public image as one
of the best gaming clubs in the region!
Back to top Go down
Martin Cooper
Cross-Swords Member
Martin Cooper

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:05 pm

Well my 2 cents is That if u plan on doing an interclub competition a lot of people won't b involved which is fine, but with fantasy with the time frame to organise and the new rules coming out could maybe be a long term plan. I'm guessing it would b easy to do just a club one over the day or weekend. And to make it interesting u can do scenarios fun events maybe using existing rules like albion etc. Or do a random doubles all which will b fun
Back to top Go down
Owen Farmer
Owen Farmer

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi,

As there seems to be a lot of interest in running a proper fantasy event day/weekend I would be happy to speak to Ant (in my capacity as fantasy events organiser) this Monday. Maybe we could lay down the foundations for an fantasy event late this year or the start of next.
Back to top Go down
andybright
Cross-Swords Member
andybright

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 4:08 pm

I'd love to see a large cross swords tournament take place in the future.

If this is something we're serious about then I reckon that one way forward would be for a group of volunteers to get together and organise it- dividing up responsibilities between them.

A tournament committee if you will.

Anyone know what Ant thinks about a public tournament with the cross swords name?

As far as a Fantasy day goes (bearing in mind that I know nothing about Fantasy or indeed about anything). Why not have a 'goodbye 7th edition' day in the summer- just hire the pub on a suitable Saturday and split the cost between the fantasites taking part, plus a little bit more for a prize/some prizes.
Back to top Go down
andy white
Cross-Swords Member

PostSubject: cross swords event   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 5:21 pm

yo guys just my offerings,

devils advocate time.
unfortunately someone with experience and rules knowledge would have to sit the event out to act as referee. maybe worth tapping up other organisers for advice

I also assume enticing traders would be difficult for a first event, as a way to avoid a situation where it/we fail at a first hurdle, and give the club the momentum to build on something solid, how about a devon championship all clubs in devon plus gw stores . hopefully less of a bashing for those who've given up time to run the event but still get an insight to the pitfalls etc etc and aim for a bigger event next year

great idea and really hope it comes to fruition
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:47 am

thanks for all your advice on here and on pm`s
we`ve narrowed it down to a one day club only 4 game scenario based games
all details and a hard copy of rule pack will be completed as soon as i /we can talk with ant and owen on thurs to iron out any prob`s
once again thanks your advice has been invaluble Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Martin Cooper
Cross-Swords Member
Martin Cooper

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Make it doubles or really quirky with really random events like weather or man eating plants or thunder bolts etc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cross swords torney   cross swords torney I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cross swords torney
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cross-Swords :: Club & Gaming Area :: Events-
Jump to: