Cross-Swords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Cross-Swords Store  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Death Magic and Skaven

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeremy Grimoldby
Cross-Swords Member
Jeremy Grimoldby

Death Magic and Skaven Empty
PostSubject: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 am

Not that I'm playing skaven next week or considering taking Death Magic but hypothetically speaking how does Death Magic work when targeting special mounts like the furnace or screaming bell?

Could I for example pick out the furnace itself and cast spirit leech on it and force it to test on its own leadership value which is 0? Similarly could you force it to take an initiative test on its own value which is 0 again.

I thought that sometimes when you are forced to do a characteristic test you choice the highest available value usually the rider/crew. Does this apply in this case?

Im also not sure if you could count spirit leech as a characteristic test as it only uses the leadership as a starting point then asks you to roll 1d6.

If anyone knows could they tell me and refer me to the FAQ or rule book page which clarifies it.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Lawrence Duncalf
Cross-Swords Member
Lawrence Duncalf

PostSubject: Re: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 8:55 am

I've had a look for you, and both the Screaming Bell and Plague Furnace, on pages 42 and 48 of the Skaven army book, say:

"The [Bell/Furnace] is a special kind of mount for a [Grey Seer/Plague Priest]. [It is] treated as a single model with combined characteristics for the [Bell/Furnace] and its crew."

For Initiative, that makes it easy. You use the highest Initiative of the crew, so Purple Sun is easy to resolve.

Leadership for Spirit Leech is tricky. They are listed as "-" because both constructs are Unbreakable, and thus would normally ignore leadership entirely, but not so in this case. As a mount, you would be able to target the construct, but it has no Leadership value.

Until it gets FAQ'd, I'm sorry to say it would have a Leadership of 0, therefore Spirit leech would automatically cause at least 3 wounds with every application (Ld 0+D6 vs. Ld 8 or 9 +D6 means you will definitely win by between 3 and 14!)!!! Bear in mind though that the Screaming Bell gets a 4+ ward save. Congratulations, an Elf army has won against Skaven before the game has even started. As usual.
Back to top Go down
http://dr-shiny.deviantart.com
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 9:38 am

jezza,jezza,jezza no amount of research will save you from what i`ve got lined up for you

just for that you`re getting my new and improved list

and ill give you a tip the grey seer and the bell get a 2 up ward save against magic tee hee
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Grimoldby
Cross-Swords Member
Jeremy Grimoldby

PostSubject: Re: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:20 am

Lawrence-Much appreciate you reading up what the army book says. Be interesting to know if anyone else has an interpretation on spirit leech, it sounds too good to be true though in fairness so is 'cracks call' on a hydra...

Rich-there's nothing like both of us giving away our tactics before we play is there Razz Hope you have a good birthday!
Back to top Go down
Lawrence Duncalf
Cross-Swords Member
Lawrence Duncalf

PostSubject: Re: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Warseer has this thread which covers the same issue, but with plenty of internet douchebaggery...
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Grimoldby
Cross-Swords Member
Jeremy Grimoldby

PostSubject: Re: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 5:30 am

Thanks for pointing out that thread Lawrence, glad its not just me that is confused!
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 am

as i interpret it the leadership would be 6 as you can`t use a furnace without a priest so the priest confers his leadership without the rank bonus
Question
Back to top Go down
Lawrence Duncalf
Cross-Swords Member
Lawrence Duncalf

PostSubject: Re: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 12:01 pm

But because the Furnace is listed as counting as a mount it can be singled out independently of its rider. Much as I'd love it to count, I don't think the rules support it yet (it should count, and I dare say sooner or later it'll get FAQ'd).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Magic and Skaven   Death Magic and Skaven I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Magic and Skaven
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cross-Swords :: Club & Gaming Area :: Rules Queries-
Jump to: