Cross-Swords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Cross-Swords Store  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JamesLye
JamesLye

Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? Empty
PostSubject: Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?   Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 3:17 am

I've come to the conclusion that watching armies Deep Strike is like watching the Forlorn Hope charge into battle for the last time.

Whenever I have played against poeple who deepstrike in their squads they always get mashed...These drop pods land and deploy their units who cannot move, only "run" so that next turn they are isolated from their main force and surrounded by the enemy. This is great fun for the opponent not deep striking because you can take the force appart piecemeal killing one lonely uniT at a time. On top of that Drop Pods are quite easy to take out 12 armour open topped and so count for nice easy Kill points.

DEM METAL PODS IS LIKE GRUB IN A KANN, SMACK IF WIV YA CHOPPA AND PINK STUFF COMES SPILLIN OUT FA YOU TA MUNCH ON, WHICH IS GOOD REALLY COZ NUFFING WORKS UP AN APPETITE LIKE STOMPIN DEM LITTLE PINK FELLAS....WAAAAAGH DA BOYZ!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
JamesLye
JamesLye

PostSubject: Re: Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?   Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Just finished playing great game with George, Jay and James big points 4250. Me and George lost the game because various units never arrived using Deep Strike and because it ended turn 3 (due to time) these units counted as points for them. So it went from a draw to a loss for us due to Deep Striking....again, don't rate it much, units never arrive, they misland, and they can cost you the game,
Back to top Go down
Anthony_Lye
Cross-Swords Member
Anthony_Lye

PostSubject: Re: Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?   Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:40 pm

tried deep striking in my last game nothing arrived on time and my necrons got phased in 2 turns!!! Personally dont think its a good idea. But hey it seems to work for some people. Jay seems to do well with his deamons and they all deep strike Razz
Back to top Go down
Jay Court
Jay Court

PostSubject: Re: Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?   Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Still very hit & miss though!

Have had my fair share of disasters (& inspired landings - Blood Angels Land Raiders!)

Can be a game winner if you are prepared to take the risk!
Back to top Go down
James Tregale
Cross-Swords Member
James Tregale

PostSubject: Re: Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?   Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:23 am

Drop pods are the way forwards if you can use Grey Hunters/Tactical marines for some serious rapid fire action on wimpy infantry when they show up.
Back to top Go down
JamesLye
JamesLye

PostSubject: Re: Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?   Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 3:23 pm

still not convinced. Seen it go wrong to many times. It would be better if you controlled when they entered and where. As a stratagem its extremely unreliable and thus cannot be relied upon during game to work in your favour. why plan for something thats not in your control. Better to know when your army will arrive and have control of that than cross your fingers and hope?
Back to top Go down
Lawrence Duncalf
Cross-Swords Member
Lawrence Duncalf

PostSubject: Re: Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?   Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:32 am

It seems best to use on troops with a disruption role. Stuff you don't count on to win games. I'd be very wary of Deep Striking Crisis Suits, for example, since they're linchpins of the army and need to get stuck in as early as possible. A Gun Drone Squadron on the other hand, is a fine candidate. By the time they arrive the enemy will have advanced, so you deep strike behind them, open fire, and the enemy is forced to choose between turning around to despatch them (disruption successful) or ignore them and risk pinning tests (for continuous disruption). And if they don't turn up, or mishap, then it's not the end of the world.

Of course, mine is a Tau perspective, where we have low priority units that can deep strike. Other armies might not be able to afford such a cavalier approach.
Back to top Go down
http://dr-shiny.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?   Is Deep Striking really worth the risk? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Deep Striking really worth the risk?
Page 1 of 1