Cross-Swords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Cross-Swords Store  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

info about armys

Go down 
+3
Rob Harvey
Daniel richards
Daniel_ Hilliard
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

info about armys - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 3:24 pm

skink armies are amazing though just thought id add this your probably set on wood elves now which is fine as its a force of order army not destruction which is something i suppose but it does mean your going to have to get very grumpy about people venturing into your wood all of a sudden

Last edited by Daniel richards on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 4:04 pm

I still find Wood Elves to be competitive. Since the change to 8th Ed I finished 8th at Cardiff Carnage and was unbeaten at Throne of Skulls. That's as good as anything I managed in 7th Ed. I think the number of competitive builds is definitely fewer. Wild Riders and Wardancers were often exceptional in 7th Ed, but are very tricky to use now. On the other hand, Forest Spirits are better, especially Tree Kin. Get 6 of them and start smashing face. Currently, I am moving back towards a shooty list, which I will be using against the Avery tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm just trying to fined a cheap army to build and be competitive. I love wood elves have for a long time. And Daniel I.really like lizard men too just there cav sucks and I wanted some good cav models. Only other army I was considering was daemons. But I think I'm settled on wood elves. As ling as I can still win. Rob why are wardancers no good any more.
Back to top Go down
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 5:17 pm

im guessing the wardancers arent cost effective anymore due to the percentage system and i dont know about saurus cavalry being bad there 35 points each they have a 2+ save str5 on the charge Initative 2 ws4 and can have a 50 point magic banner which is better than saurus there only downfall is with they dont look as good as the new cold one knights for dark elves but apart from that there good and if a oldblodd on cold one is in the unit aswell they become insane able to kill anything there are some real nasty combos i could teach you for saurus cavalry that works on any army no matter what you face theres a oldblood saurus cavalry combo for taking it on
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 6:45 pm

In 7th Ed Wardancers could charge in, wipe out the front row (and more) of an enemy unit and win combat against even large, ranked units. Support attacks, stepping up and steadfast all mean that the wardancers will get hit back a lot, and as they're T3 with a 6+ save, they die way too easily.
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 am

Now I'm really confused. I still think I like wood elves but if wild rider and wardancers are both no good. Kinda limits the army also rob what size units do you run dryads in and whats the biggest size dryads unit allowed ? And can wood elves only use 1 sort of magic.
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:32 am

There is definitely still a use for Wild Riders, either in small units to hunt warmachines and skirmishers or in larger units to charge flanks. There just not so awesome as they were. I have struggled to find a use for wardancers, but I imagine there are still good builds, such as 5 man character assassination squads.

I run my dryads in units of 12, 6x2. The maximum unit size is 20.

Wood Elves have access to 3 spell lores - Athel Loren, Life and Beasts. Any wizard may use the Lore of Athel Loren (which actually has some very useful spells), but only Lord level wizards may use Life or Beasts.
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:36 am

Also do things like dryads still take away rank bonus if they flank change as I thought you need at least a rank of your own to do that.
Back to top Go down
Andi Avery
Cross-Swords Member
Andi Avery

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 am

Hi daniel

No skirmishers do not negate rank bonuses any more so the dryads wouldnt do that. But they do now get +1 for the charge and +1/+2 for flank and rear charges so if you can manage to sneak them round the back and charge in the rear then they get +3 to combat res before any blows are struck. Considering that basic troops now have a static combat res of 4 ( 3 ranks and banner) as standard (without bsb added bonus and things like warbanner etc) this means that you only need to kill one model to be on even footing and anymore kills is plus resolution to you. They get their attacks back without supporting attacks as hopefully you got a flank or rear. They need a fear test (basic troops) hit you on 4's most likely wound on 4-5's then you have your ward. They are a good cheap hard hitting unit. Another added bonus is that with initiative 6 they will hit first against almost anything in the game (characters excluded). So for example you charge 20 spearmen in the rear. You hit and kill 7 (very plausible) they attack back and kill 2. You have 7 wounds, rear charge, charge = 7+2+1 (10)
They have standard, 2 kills, 2 ranks = 5 You win combat by 5.

Wood elfs are a tricksy bag of critters that depend on the movement phase (especially elf lists) to be in the right place at the right time with the right troops hitting the right enemies. I hear lots of people moaning at tournament s about how weak their wood elf armies are so i ask them how they play and its usually run in and smack (or more likely be smacked) or sit on the board edge shooting as much as possible for 3-4 turns then get wiped out in turn 4-5 to an army that has shrugged off the arrows. Wood elves can be very competitive in 8th but you must be a canny wee general with them. Hit and run tactics are the way to go using guerilla warfare and finesse even with the big trees. Both Rob and I have a good collection of WE's between us so if you want to use them to see if its an army for you then i have no probs bringing my stuff in for you to use.
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks you both for advice can you let me know who wins and maybe a mini battle report from tonight.
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 am

Hey andi I'm gonna try and make it down for this Thursday coming would I be able to play a game using your wood elves.
If I can find an opponent. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: info about armys   info about armys - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

info about armys
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2