Cross-Swords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Cross-Swords Store  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jay Court
Jay Court

Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? Empty
PostSubject: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Currently reading the 'Nid Codex at the moment, liking what I'm seeing at the moment.

Glad the immunity to instant death has gone. Shame about the Genestealers epic fail with not being able to charge through terrain without their initiative dropping like a stone!

Raveners are my favourite brood at the moment. Deep Strike, shedloads of attacks & can shoot as well!

Haven't played against the 'Nids yet, be interesting to see how my Daemons do against them.

Last edited by Jay Court on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mike Culpan
Admin
Mike Culpan

PostSubject: Re: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 4:28 am

Not actually played any yet... But favorite so far? Doom of Malantai....
Back to top Go down
Ed Breddy
Cross-Swords Member
Ed Breddy

PostSubject: Re: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 5:36 am

first glance less powerful than the previous one
Back to top Go down
Jay Court
Jay Court

PostSubject: Re: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 6:19 am

Think it's meant to encourage people to take a balanced army rather than taking a Nidzilla list. Yes, you can take 9 Carnifexes but they're not as powerful as they used to be & they eat up a load of pts as well.

Characters look cool, the Swormlord is amazing but if you can avoid combat with it you should be ok as it doesn't get its 4+ Inv save from shooting attacks.

Am more worried about a H.Tyrant, can have a 2+ save, wings & has the Lash Whip/Bonesword combo.

Tyrvigon I think can be a good thing to take, can be a Troop choice as well as an H.Q choice & spawning more gribblies that can take objectives as well as being generally annoying.

Warriors are great for the army. They're a Troop choice, have 3 wounds each, decent save (4+) & if you give them Boneswords they're going to cause havoc in combat.

Can't see the point of Pyrocores. It's just a walking Heavy Flamer that only gets 2 attacks on the charge, it does ignore armour saves in combat but seeing how many things have Inv saves now it's not going to make much difference.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
andybright
Cross-Swords Member
andybright

PostSubject: Re: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:50 pm

It seems designed for intelligent army design- ie units co-operating to achieve a much greater effect than they could alone

See Venomthrope... spore clouds to protect the swarm

Tunnelling horrors that leave a nice entry point for follow up waves

And the meanest selection of psychic powers!

That said- the lack of invulnerable saves and eternal warrior makes individual nids vulnerable to determined attack.

Suddenly Skulltakers head chop, force weapons and others come into their own.

Also vindicators and battlecannon can lay waste to T5 and T4 critters like never before-

Hit those raveners with a template and its goodbye!

Thats if anything survives the nid S10 Lance weapon!

Worst case scenario.... 7 of those gaunt spawning horrors, 4 units of gaunts and any points left over to spend on tunnelling beasts- thats 21d6 gaunts

PS have you seen the rules for that parasite! That is a beast you can not ignore!
Back to top Go down
Mike Culpan
Admin
Mike Culpan

PostSubject: Re: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 12:42 am

Jay Court wrote:
Can't see the point of Pyrocores. It's just a walking Heavy Flamer that only gets 2 attacks on the charge, it does ignore armour saves in combat but seeing how many things have Inv saves now it's not going to make much difference.

I was the same, until i realized they have Acid Blood, combined with the fact that they have 2 wounds each, this means whoever charges them, is going to have their day ruined.
Back to top Go down
matt monk
Cross-Swords Member
matt monk

PostSubject: Re: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 7:45 am

the parasite is awesome if you take rippers as ur troops and went against an army with low toughness ie guard or eldar you could end up with 100+ ripper bases by end of game. obviously thats with very good rolls.
Back to top Go down
andybright
Cross-Swords Member
andybright

PostSubject: Re: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Remember though, that rippers cannot hold objectives as they have the swarm special rule

Also S6 weapons instant kill them!

Also that parasite will die if hit with a strong enough weapon... T4 I think

Dangerous but not unbeatable
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?   Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tyranid Codex. 1st impressions?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cross-Swords :: General Area :: General Chat-
Jump to: