Cross-Swords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Cross-Swords Store  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

World Cup Tournament - It's over!

Go down 
+17
andy white
Ed Matson
max ayson
Chrishorsley
ogre jon
Rob Harvey
michael tetley
Jeremy Grimoldby
James Tregale
richayson
Daniel richards
Swabs
Dave Jakowyszyn
matt monk
Andi Avery
Lee Stubbs
Rob Farmer
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 am

ok ill be there about 6:30ish
Back to top Go down
matt monk
Cross-Swords Member
matt monk

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 10:40 am

as i said before i wont be able to make it tonight, but to whoever i get drawn against i will be availible next week for the game.
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Here's the Second Round draw:

Andi vs Rob - Andi wins
Kev vs Matt - Kev wins
Derek vs Ed
Mike vs Andy - Mike wins
Jeremy vs Chris - Jeremy wins
Lee vs Richard - Richard wins
Max vs Dan - Dan wins
Jon vs Guy

From now on, all games are to use the battle-line scenario from the BRB. All games are Win/Lose - winning by one Vp is enough.

Game on!

Last edited by Rob Farmer on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:13 pm

first round knockout is against my first group games opponent well we both know each others armies atleast we are playing pitched battle and i didnt get to play watch tower or blood and glory once in the group stages ive heard they were the worst scenarios to play
Back to top Go down
Ed Matson
Cross-Swords Member
Ed Matson

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am

A bit of a moan........

Rob thanks for organising and running this tournament, so far it has been a great success and I really apreciate the work, effort and time you have put in.

Here is a quote from Rob on how the compitition will be run;

"The tournament will be organised as a group stage, followed by straight knockout. Ideally, we need 16 players, but I'm sure we can accommodate more or fewer than 16.

The groups will each have four players.

Army lists are fixed for the whole tournament and must be written before the group stage draw. Army lists should be no more than 2400pts. The only restriction is that no special or named characters are allowed.

Note that the 6 scenarios from the rule book will be used, with a roll off taking place before each game."

(With reference to the last line) Now halfway through the tourn. it has been decided that we will change the rules and now all games will be played only using one of the scenarios. Now forgetting that using all six is part of playing 8th edition, and in my opinion a massive improvement, alot of us built our armies for playing all six. Rob you even reminded us to make sure we have enough banners, so taking your advice I duly added more.

Apparently the reason why the rules have been changed is that some scenarios favour some armies more than others, well that is probably true but we all knew this and built our armies to cater for our weaknesses. It is also a very brave general who's main tactic for winning is to hope for the 1/6 chance that his favourite scenario is going to be played.

Those of you who know my army will be tempted to say that its just sour grapes on my behalf because I am strong in one particular scenario. For those who don't , well lets say that if the 'Watch Tower' is rolled then my Tomb Kings are very very happy. But this has a flip side, if the scenario where units are randomly placed along the deployment edge is rolled then I 'm right and royally fu*ked as all my units need to be together for my incantations to work.

You win some you lose some that is why you build your armies to compensate. The use of the six scenarios is, on average, balanced , fun and more entertaining. To ignore them is to go against the sprit of 8th edition.There are some army miss matches that are just evil for one of the players (Rob- yours and mine for example) the use of random scenarios gives you a chance in those situations.

I can understand that in a knockout comp. this makes things a little scary, as the game (in a few rare occasions) is almost decided before any troops are put down.

How about a compromise, after the scenario is diced for both players have a single VETO, which if used means you reroll the scenario, this second roll then stands no matter what.

Sorry to be a winging git

Ed

(hope punctuation is acceptable).
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 pm

as a person who didn`t taylor his army on any scenerios i`m not bothered about the change to pitched battles
personally i think this is a good thing as in say blood and glory a cou[le of lucky shots could win the game in turn 1 (just look at paw this year 3 games were over in turn 1 before the other player could even role some dice),i for one wouldn`t be to happy at that outcome at least with pitched battles everyone is playing the samegame and will get 6 turns to win a game
at the end of the day lets not lose the point why we all play,its fun .win or lose

also if someone has gone to the trouble of putting on an exellent world cup its there perogative to make changes if he feels it makes for a fairer knock out stage

the only other option would be to roll for a scenerio and everyone play the same game
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

I appreciate the input, Ed. And I appreciate the support, Rich.

The scenarios were appropriate for the group stage because the fact that you played three games mitigated against playing scenarios that put any particular army at a disadvantage. In addition, there was the option to ask for a reroll if you ended up playing the same scenario more than once. Everyone built their lists with the scenarios in mind, including me, and put in banners etc accordingly.

I like the scenarios (which is why I wanted to use them in the group stages, unlike many tournaments such as the SCGT) but now we are in the knock-out stages I think it is important that everyone is given a fair chance of winning their match-up. Battle Line is surely the fairest scenario. Scenarios like Meeting Engagement can give one player a big advantage over the other before the game starts, regardless of the army list each has taken. Watch Tower can do the same.

I accept that I should have made this clear to players before the tournament started.

Anyway, don't feel bad about being a whinging git, Ed. It's not a proper tournament unless someone complains about the rulespack or comp. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:26 pm

well i think every game i played in the group stages gave one player a advantage against max random deployment split his white lions away from the rest of his army so didnt have to worry about them and against swabs i didnt even get out of my deployment zone as he was 12 inches away and charged me turn 2 and against mike i couldnt use the flanks to my advantage as there wasnt enough room to move past him so i had to fight him head on but saying that i never lost a single group game so i had to adapt and over come the problem and now its pitched battle means noone can end up with 3 units on the board while there opponent has all but 1 like james had against guy in his game

well im loving the tournament at the moment its what keeping me coming cross-swords as at gw vets there quite boring and i only ever play the same 3 people as noone will play me so ive loved playing new opponents and armies and will be entering the next tournament

Last edited by Daniel richards on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andy white
Cross-Swords Member

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:58 pm

well approx 1/2way thru another succesful event and once again thanks to rob for the effort of running another competition espcially as owen did a runner Laughing

have enjoyed every game except one, but it was the dice rolling and definatly not the opponent, and there lies the enigma of dice that is warhammer. still having been undone by scenarios in games that might have had a different results i share your exasperation / frustration Ed, and i guess Rob forsees a few grumbles if someone loses a scenario and is just trying to keep everyone happy ahh the impossible dream!! but such is the friendly nature of our club I would be happy to accept Eds suggestion of a scenario + veto if my opponent wishes ,

once i sweep Mike "t-bag" Tetley majesticaly aside
Back to top Go down
michael tetley
Cross-Swords Member
michael tetley

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:18 am

We will see who will be doing the sweeping Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:45 pm

i played him last thrusday mike and his list was nasty took a epic comeback from me to win it
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Congratulations to Jeremy and commiserations to Chris, as the mighty Jez becomes our first quarter finalist.
Back to top Go down
Chrishorsley
Cross-Swords Member
Chrishorsley

Location : Too close to the water. Damn those seagulls keeping me up.

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Jeremy thoroughly deserved his win. He played a great game and good luck to him for the rest of the tourney.
Back to top Go down
michael tetley
Cross-Swords Member
michael tetley

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:13 pm

it did look like a good game chris Very Happy

too bad you had to play a gimp Twisted Evil
jokes jeremy Razz

and dan, i will have to keep my wits about me then Cool
Back to top Go down
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:54 pm

it was probably the most hard ive had to play for a win in a really long time most epic game ive had for a while and i learned that slann can make even a army with its heart cut out obscene
Back to top Go down
Jeremy Grimoldby
Cross-Swords Member
Jeremy Grimoldby

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 am

It was a well fought game, really enjoyed it. Thanks Chris!
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Results from tonight are on p.9. Congratulations to all the winners (even Andi Razz ). Two more second round matches to play before the Quarter Finals begin!

Back to top Go down
Andi Avery
Cross-Swords Member
Andi Avery

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Congrats to everyone going through to the next round and good luck to those who are yet to play their games. Comiserations to those brave souls who fell at this stage.

I for one had a sloberknocker of a game vs mr Farmer (Rob variety). It was a proper smackfest.

It was indeed one of the best games ive had for a while with loads of highs and lows. So thanks very much to Roberto, great game.

Bring on my next opponant. Who wants some?
Back to top Go down
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 5:15 pm

id like to say welldone to max as he played a much better game against me then he did in our first game i could tell his game has improved since the start of the tournament as he made some tactical decisions that on a different day might have got him the victory i now cant wait for the quarter finals bring on my next opponent Very Happy
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 5:01 am

cheers lee for a great game ,it could have gone either way but luckily numbers told in the end,all 3 of your units were solid good job there was only 3 or i would have been in trouble.well played
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Here is the draw for the Quarter-Finals!

Andi vs Dan
Rich vs Ed
Guy vs Jeremy
Kev vs Mike

Good luck everybody. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 2:05 pm

it would seem that this topic has dried up a bit so ill restart it well done to everyone who got through let the next round begin
Back to top Go down
Swabs
Cross-Swords Member

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 am

2 unpainted Grobi for Mike to win...any takers?

Tyrant Swabs
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 pm

What mike to win the tourny ?
Back to top Go down
Daniel richards
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel richards

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:45 pm

its not going to happen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Cup Tournament - It's over!   World Cup Tournament - It's over! - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World Cup Tournament - It's over!
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cross-Swords :: Club & Gaming Area :: Events-
Jump to: