Cross-Swords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Cross-Swords Store  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

what should i add to my army

Go down 
+3
Owen Farmer
Rob Farmer
Daniel_ Hilliard
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

what should i add to my army Empty
PostSubject: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 12:42 pm

So far I have 140 clan rats 6 rat ogers 1 warlord 1 bsb 3 engineers doomwheel

I have about 50 quid to spend

Help please might try and buy through eBay more from my money but was thinking

Abom+ unit of clanrats or plague monks

Or

Plague furness+ unit of plague monks
Back to top Go down
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm sure Rich Ayson will give you the best advice, but if you want to win a few games, get an Abomination. Those things have ruined my army on their own on more occasions than I can bear to remember. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 1:46 pm

But surely you can just shoot it to death str 4 toughness 5 not to hard to kill really
Back to top Go down
Owen Farmer
Owen Farmer

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Abom = win. It win focas the attention for the enemy. Yes they might kill it but whilst they're trying to kill it they not killing the rest of your army. Also when they kill it, it could come back to life!! No
Back to top Go down
Andi Avery
Cross-Swords Member
Andi Avery

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 2:11 pm

i recommend a hamster wheel or 2 over the abom those things are insane
Back to top Go down
Martin Cooper
Cross-Swords Member
Martin Cooper

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 2:33 am

Grey seer is a must, an abomb and get some giant rat packs u then will have a competitive tournament army as u can just use a load of clanrats as slaves
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 3:28 am

Every has said different only thing that looks uniform is the Abom.
Back to top Go down
Martin Cooper
Cross-Swords Member
Martin Cooper

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 6:59 am

check tournament lists via skaven forums etc.

Every list always has a

grey seer
abomb
multiple slave units
multiple warlocks with rocket, condenser
some rat packs with master moulders
bsb with storm banner
warp lightning cannon

The rest of the armies differ:
some take plague monks, most do soem with a furnace but not always as is too easy to cannonball
if possible they will take the doomwheel, normally comp doesnt allow doomwheels and abombs
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 7:37 am

Don't allow then that's silly what you mean together ?
Back to top Go down
Lawrence Duncalf
Cross-Swords Member
Lawrence Duncalf

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 9:29 am

An Abomination is a good idea, but be aware that your enemy will never allow it to be quite the carnage engine it could be. The reason it works is because your opponent must address its presence. It might shuffle forward 6" and die on turn 2 without presenting any threat whatsoever. Alterrnatively, it might charge around 18" a turn carving up enemy like nobody's business. Your enemy doesn't know what it's going to do. YOU barely know what it's going to do. The beauty of it is that the rest of your army can get on with its business while the Abomination threatens to wreak havoc.

I can also recommend Rat Swarms. On paper, they look terrible: Strength and Toughness of 2 is pathetic, they have no armour save. But with 5 attacks per base, the dice can do all the work for you, and when they eat a unit of trolls on their own your opponents will overestimate their efficacy forever more. Caveat: Doesn't work against High or Dark Elves, they have a tendency to swat them away before you get to roll any dice.

Rat Swarms are also good for a number of other battlefield roles. They are excellent troops for hunting goblin fanatics. They march 12", expose the fanatics, and they're expendable enough to jump on them to destroy them (and have enough wounds to manage more than one fanatic...). If your troops are frenzied (say, plague monks or troops under the influence of Skavenbrew or Death Frenzy), you can stick a rat swarm in front to stop them charging off when you don't want them to. Because they never run away, they're also good for bogging down troops and holding up bits of your battle line that look fragile. Failing that, they're fast skirmishers that can finagle themselves behind the enemy quite well for rear attacks and war machine hunting.
Back to top Go down
http://dr-shiny.deviantart.com
Rob Farmer
Rob Farmer

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 9:55 am

Daniel_ Hilliard wrote:
Don't allow then that's silly what you mean together ?

Most tournaments run some kind of composition limitations. Some limitations apply to all armies (eg. 70 shots per turn, max 5 war machines) and some are army specific (no double Hydras, Abominations, STanks etc.) This is supposed to stop particular builds that are deemed over-powerful. The composition rules vary from tournament to tournament. The Throne of Skulls has none (even special characters are allowed) while others are quite detailed (eg. SCGT).
Back to top Go down
Martin Cooper
Cross-Swords Member
Martin Cooper

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:03 am

Rat swarms are terrible they were good in 6th before they could crumble. For the same role and cheaper you can buy small rat packs or single warlock engineers.
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:07 am

dan if you want some advice come over for a chat on thurs,i won`t give skaven secrets on the forum BUT rat swarms are a waste of time, the rest of the advice seems sound depending on how YOU want to play skaven Sleep
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 10:26 am

oh yeah 50 quid won`t be enough.
if your not playing on thurs you can sit in on my game against dark elfs for a blow by blow skaven lesson
or we can have a civil war 3wks time after my hols
Back to top Go down
Lawrence Duncalf
Cross-Swords Member
Lawrence Duncalf

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Martin Cooper wrote:
Rat swarms are terrible they were good in 6th before they could crumble. For the same role and cheaper you can buy small rat packs or single warlock engineers.

See, I've always found them a good investment. Every couple of games my swarms eat something they have no right hurting (entire units of monstrous infantry, vampire lords etc.). Compare and contrast with Rat Ogres, which have never proved themselves worth the points in so much as a single game in all my fourteen years of Skaven warfare...
Back to top Go down
Martin Cooper
Cross-Swords Member
Martin Cooper

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 3:54 pm

Ray ogres r pants also, if u want a filthy tournament list there's a couple of builds but there r some must haves they r always

Slaves
Bsb
Greyseer
Abomb
Cannon
Warlock engineers with rocket and condenser

Everything else depends on comp but if I ever go to a tournament and I face skaven missing one those things It brings a smile to my face
Back to top Go down
Lawrence Duncalf
Cross-Swords Member
Lawrence Duncalf

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Battle Standard Bearers are extraordinarily useful. Grey Seers are more useful than not, though they, like the abomination, are scary because of what they could do rather than what they do do. For the dispelling power alone, though, they are a must.
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:52 pm

im having a game against dark elfs this week and will be having a laugh
grey seer on a bell with 50 clanrats
plague priest on a furnace with40 monks
2 units of slaves
2 hellpits

tee hee 2 unbreakable units, 2 units of steadfast on a 10 slaves and 2 ass kicking hellpits

Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 11:27 am

double hellpit works well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plague furnace and monks were charged by 2 hydra`s and a unit of witch elfs and locky fellheart,thank goodness for unbreakableness
starting to find skaven magic okbut must remember to ring the bell
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 11:32 am

So for me next should be plague furness and monks or Abom and clan rats ? Both work out 50 quid
Back to top Go down
Martin Cooper
Cross-Swords Member
Martin Cooper

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Abomb grey seer and cannon are a must if u r interested in tournaments that is. Furnace doesn't appear that often as is a huge points drain
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Why is it a point drain tho ? As it has tuns of attack and can kill nearly anything. Abom and rats it is then.
Back to top Go down
Martin Cooper
Cross-Swords Member
Martin Cooper

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 2:34 am

Due to other units r farmire effective at getting their points back furnaces aren't that maniuverable and lots of armies can either feed them a little chaff or hold them in place or put cannonball into the furnace
Back to top Go down
Daniel_ Hilliard
Cross-Swords Member
Daniel_ Hilliard

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 2:43 am

Another idea hell pit and some gutter runners ?
Back to top Go down
richayson
Cross-Swords Member
richayson

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 3:02 am

sorry ,but furnace efery time ,play it right and its a unit breaker
gutter runners are good but are very expensive points wise and die v quickly when corneered
if you want to play test a abomb you can borrow one of mine as 2 is just rude ,i will leave one with someone at the club thurs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what should i add to my army   what should i add to my army I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what should i add to my army
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next